July 20, 2010

More flowers - more fun! Propagate hydrangea

Hydrangea loves water - it roots even if you just stick the piece directly to water. You can do it too, because now is the time to propagate hydrangea macrophylla (mophead). 3 weeks ago I’ve cut a piece of fresh stem . Choose the stem that doesn’t send flowers this summer, just to prevent removing the flower. It’s always better to have flower and new hydrangea than new flower or new hydrangea – right? I’ve left the top pair of leaves, cut them by half to reduce the evaporation, place them in water and almost forgot about it. Very soon you will see first roots.


This time placing the cutting in the water was an experiment. I wanted to see the roots. Usually I just stick the cutting in the fresh potted soil, keep it in shaded place and make sure the soil is wet (I mean soggy wet) all the time. This method with Hydrangea macrophylla guarantees 99% success. I failed only once, when I tried to do it end of September, after obtaining exciting varieties.

I always propagate H. macrophylla in the summer, while propagating Hydrangea paniculata works best very in early spring, before vegetation starts.

Hydrangea macrophylla - Bigleaf Hydrangea - French Hydrangea - Lacecap Hydrangea - Mophead Hydrangea - Penny Mac - Hortensia

8 comments:

Gail said...

Ewa, Do you have oakleaf hydrangesa? I was wondering about propagating them~ gail

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Surprising how plants start a new life purely on water. Our lemon grass (or locally known as serai) would do just that.... ~bangchik

Ewa said...

Gail, those are missing in my garden :) no experience on that. Have some rest after that much travelling recently. Me opposite - too much working and too much in same place. Looking forward to go to the seaside next week :)

June said...

Thank you for this great post. I will be trying this for sure. I just bought the new Invincibelle hydrangea and think I want more, but they are costly here. So this will be a great way to get more for less.
June

Millie said...

Great advice Ewa - thank you. As it's the middle of a freezing cold Winter here in Australia, I'll archive this & use it at the end of our Summer around March. Hope you are making the most of your beautiful Summer days.
Millie ^_^

Victoria Cummings said...

I just ran out and cut some and put it in water. I'm so excited! You can never have enough hydrangeas in my book. This is the first year that mine have bloomed. They are very very dark blue - do I need more acid to get that lovely turquoise color?

Ewa said...

Victoria, blue flowers means acid soil. Maybe you have such variety which will not give turquoise color. If you want to change color try to make soil around the bottom of your hydrangea less acid - and see the difference. Mine were pink - I managed to make them blue using sulfur :)

Mike said...

Your blog over all is beautiful and fun to read. Hydrangea is easy to propagate, and yes, they love water! I will visit your blog again, I like it!

Mike

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS