October 5, 2010

Cottage garden typical in Cracow region

This lovely old style cottage garden is arranged in Cracow botanic garden. I haven’t seen too many gardens looking like this, while travelling nowadays around Poland, but it doesn’t mean they didn’t look like this in the past. I like it and I hope you will also like it. List of plants you can find on the bottom of the post.








List of plants / typical cottage garden in Cracow region
Perennials: phloks, delphinium, aconitum, irys, aruncus, paeonia, dhalia, verbascum, lilium, dendrathema, dicentra, rudbeckia, rheum, levisticum (lovage), artemisia (wormwood).
Bulbs: daffodils (narcissus).
Annuals and biennals: hollyhocks (alcea), dianthus barbatus, cosmos, calendula, evening stock, sweet pea (lathyrus odoratus), nasturtium, zinnia, snapdragon, aster, helianthus.
Vegetables: dill, parsley, carrot, beetroot, tomato, celery, leek, pumpkin.
Shrubs: box, lilac, red and black ribes.

Recommended further reading: The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage

13 comments:

Darla said...

Just breathtaking...don't know what I like better, the fencing or the upside down containers on the fence.

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

Why are the pots hung on the fence?

growtosow said...

nice photos

Ewa said...

Susan, the big brown one is made of metal and that's traditional container for carrying milk, the gray/silver ones and small brown are ceramic and are multipurpose :)

Ewa said...

Darla - nice to see you again here :)

Ewa said...

growtosow - thank's for visiting

jurooma said...

How wonderful! I like it.

Kathryn/plantwhateverbringsyoujoy.com said...

Oh, Ewa! I love that fence, which someone lovingly made. Do you know what branches they used? I wish I wish I wish I would see more of that here. We do have extraordinary stone fences. I'll post one day and let you know! Thank you for this one. Charming!

Simon Eade said...

Hello Ewa, I was just checking out your site on the 'All Gardening Site' and was wondering if you would be interested in swapping links with my own site www.gardenofeaden.blogspot.com ? I look forward to hearing form you. Kind regards, Simon

Carole said...

Just gorgeous !! I wonder if the plants are not the same as the ones growing in what we call in France "jardins de curé" (priests' gardens).

Ewa said...

Kathryn, unfortunately I don't know what are the branches used for the fence - I may guess it's willow, cos this is most popular here material for baskets, fencing panels etc.
Xoxo

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I love cottage gardens and this one is fantastic. I have a small book called Brilliant Gardens, a celebration of English gardening by Candida Lycett Green, it is all about cottage gardens. Is there something similar available from your area, country? Cheers T.

philippines flower shop said...

Pretty flowers! Seems your garden was so healthy. Wish I can have a healthy garden too. I'm been looking for interesting topic as this. Looking forward for your next post. Keep posting!

toni

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS